Saturday, May 12, 2007

The Abandoned Blog

Man, I am so lame. It's bad enough I would start a blog, but then... not even to post on it? I wonder how many abandoned blogs there are? People just running out of things to say. . . or being abducted. . . killed for knowing too much? How many of the universe's mysteries were just about to be revealed when. . . bam! some brilliant blogger was nabbed on his way home from the library. . . or the bank. . . or his job in a call centre. . . or a big box store. . .

It's sad really. I have no such excuse. My problem is that I don't want to ramble on about tripe, and much of what I think about in the run of a day is just that. Politics. My job. Groceries. Pillow top mattresses.

The blogosphere is flooded with political blogs. . .literary blogs. . . angst-ridden blogs. . . what can I make of mine?

I called it Signastra. . . why? Because I am very interested in symbolism-- signs & semiotics. I'm interested in how you can crack open just about any word, object or image and extract layer upon layer of complex meaning. Everything is contextual, nothing exists in isolation, everything relates. . .there are no one-offs. . . Do I really believe this? Yes, I guess I do. The platypus aside.

Signastra. . . there's resonance there. It sounds like Sinatra. . .whom I have always adored in a naive, let's not look at the reality kind of way. How's that for paradox?

What does Sinatra symbolize for me? Glamour, exapansiveness, power, flash. And quirkiness. Teleprompters. . . nostalgia. . .an era. Not an era I would have liked to inhabit, mind you, but an era nonetheless. Cool. Style. Savvy. Yes. And he was Sicilian-- my ancestors were also. So, in a sense, it's also a personal signature of mine.

Next item: it is phonetically similar to the word "sinister" as well. . . Sinister, associated with the left hand, the occult. I love the occult. I love the thought of uncovering what is hidden. . .

And "astra", the stars. . . From a Cheryl Savageau poem "All I know is we come from the stars. . ." Yes. Je suis fasciné par les étoiles.

All of these reasons. . . and now I am completely adrift. . .without a center of gravity. The name means something, but it hasn't grown into anything substantive just yet.

In time.

4 comments:

Zachariah Wells said...

I had to sell my pillowtop mattress when I moved across the country. I miss it greatly.

Jennifer said...

Oh my goodness.....that's terrible. Kind of middle-class tragic.

Jennifer said...

It's pretty bad when I even I don't reread my own blog for typos-- big box store..... not big bix. jaysus. I need an attention span.

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

Jennifer H's Facebook profile