Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Creative Laze in February

That's what Kevin Smith calls it-- creative laze. . . .

And that's what I've been in for the latter half of cold, blues-triggering February. There's just something about this month. You feel it will never end. One of my favorite songs, ironically enough, is Dar Williams' "February". Is it legal for me to post her lyrics here? Well, I'm crediting her. It's a great tune:

I threw your keys in the water, I looked back,
They'd frozen halfway down in the ice.
They froze up so quickly, the keys and their owners,
Even after the anger, it all turned silent, and
The everyday turned solitary,
So we came to February.

First we forgot where we'd planted those bulbs last year,
Then we forgot that we'd planted at all,
Then we forgot what plants are altogether,
and I blamed you for my freezing and forgetting and
The nights were long and cold and scary,
Can we live through February?

You know I think Christmas was a long red glare,
Shot up like a warning, we gave presents without cards,
And then the snow,
And then the snow came, we were always out shoveling,
And we'd drop to sleep exhausted,
Then we'd wake up, and its snowing.

And February was so long that it lasted into March
And found us walking a path alone together.
You stopped and pointed and you said, "That's a crocus,"
And I said, "What's a crocus?" and you said, "It's a flower,"
I tried to remember, but I said, "What's a flower?"
You said, "I still love you."

The leaves were turning as we drove to the hardware store,
My new lover made me keys to the house,
And when we got home, well we just started chopping wood,
Because you never know how next year will be,
And we'll gather all our arms can carry,
I have lost to February.



I love the bit about "I tried to remember, but I said 'what's a flower'? I've added some of her albums to the Amazon store--she's woefully under-appreciated, and her music is a lot fun, often funny, sometimes "poignant" (that's an in-joke) and always inspiring. Highly recommended.

She's captured it, here, the feeling of February-- shortest month, but it can seem endless. I've often wondered if this is related to the beginning of Pisces, that formlessness, that dissolution. I often feel there's nothing to grab hold of by Feb 15 (and it ain't the Valentine Blues--I got my stuffed toy and my chocolates).

Here, in New Brunswick, the minus 30 cold snap just seemed to slog on and on. I found myself snapping at coworkers, complaining long and pointlessly to my significant other, and, in general, cursing much more than usual. Of course, this is the sort of frustration that fuels "plans for the future" (oooh, the portentive whisper). It is a dreaming time, I guess. That's what I keep reminding myself: "It's not quite time to wake up yet". Pisces is extremely connected to the "dream time"--- and I have had a thousand and one brilliant ideas this month. I just don't have the energy or the will to execute them quite yet. March 21st can't come fast enough, but then I'll be complaining there's no time available for daydreaming.

Can't win, can't win--a negative Piscean sentiment.

But it is now 11:14pm on February 28th. It's March in England!! It will be March here in 36 minutes. And the very word inspires energy and will: "March!" The weather has been warming up a little. . . it's almost time to think about seeds. Last October's gourds are now hardened and ready to glaze. . . . .a new cycle is just about to begin. But here in the Northern Climes, there is still a little time for dreaming yet. . . and I am indulging, even as the days lengthen, even as my energy returns. . .

For more on Pisces, here is the link to my entry on the Pisces Moon.

Happy March, everyone!! It's almost time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I actually really like February! Here's why:

- it gets so much lighter - hurray!
- Valentine's Day
- Imbolc or Candlemas
- Pancake Day
- my birthday
- very short month, not enough time to get sick of it
- first signs of Spring
- Chinese New Year (in 2007 anyway)
- Groundhog day (OK we don't celebrate that in the UK but we should!)
Maybe I like it so much because I am a Pisces.

Jennifer H's Facebook profile