Monday, January 1, 2007

2007: Little Preview


There's a lot to look forward to. Instead of making a list of futile resolutions this year, I decided to make a list of things to keep an eye out for--stories to watch, movies and media to anticipate, guesses at trends, etc . I most humbly submit to you a somewhat silly off-the-top-of-my-head list of things to be on the lookout for, and to look forward to in 2007.

Let me just get this out of the way:

Politics

Here in Canada we'll all be (okay, some of us will be) waiting with baited breath for a federal election call. With Stephane Dion in as the new Leader of the Liberal Party, it won't be too long.

Suffice it to say that in 2007 I will be watching for the return of the tolerant, no-nonsense, progressive Canadian spirit. Whomever's banner it happens under, it has to happen, or we're frikkin' doomed, eh? We should look closely at the culture wars currently being waged in the United States, and take heed.... and vote wisely.

Movies
  • Spiderman 3 (ooooh yes, I think we all need to see one more time how the battle for the soul happens within...and the good guy's ultimate rejection of the oh-so-tempting and slickly stylized dark side....
  • Rob Zombie's Halloween It's about damn time, and what better way to honour Moustapha Akkad's memory than this. Maybe people will even go out and track down a copy of Lion of the Desert in order to expand their world-perspective. As a matter of fact, I promise to write an entry very soon about how revelatory the Halloween franchise has been thus far, insofar as providing insight into terrorism and the Western world. We've always known that science fiction has a profound political aspect-- so does horror. Now more than ever. Do not avert your eyes, mes amis.....prend ma main.
  • Grind House Tarantino and Rodriguez... this is gonna be bad, but I won't be able to resist it.
I think this gives you an idea of where my cinematic affinities lie...


Trends

  • I think its safe to assume that the 80s will continue to come back. Axl Rose is ambulatory and out of hiding. Maybe, just maybe indicative of the rebellious American spirit finally seeing its shadow.
  • I predict we're going to see a new wave of feminism emerge over the next few years. Its already starting to simmer. . .I can feel the lipstick feminists becoming capitalists, pure, and the grass-roots activists getting savvy and branded. Now that shows like Charmed no longer exist to anasthetize (albeit acknowledge) feminine spiritual longings and wisdom, we will begin to collectively draw down the moon. I can just feel it.
  • Just for fun: I say Mozilla will make even more headway.
  • Celebrities will continue to marry and procreate in an attempt to disguise their sexual orientations.
  • Biden will tear a decisive strip off of Bush, once and for all.
  • Stephane Dion will become Prime Minister of Canada
  • Saddam Hussein will be spotted working as a gas station attendant in Texas.
  • Heroes fans will begin to rival Trekkies
Yeah, okay, I think I'm done for now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn,

I finally made it here to check out your blog and am impressed (as always). :D

Just loved your idea instead of making resolutions... I never did that anyway. ;)

Loved the trend part best and had a good laugh at your Hussein comment. :p I wouldn't be surprised. Some say that they hung his clone. The celeb comment was great too. Tom Cruise comes to mind on that one. Sylvia Brown said (on her prediciton show on Montel) that he and Katie wouldn't last more than 2 or 3 years (I can't remember which) after having a son. As for other celeb relationships that she said wouldn't last... Nicole and Keith as well as Brad and Angie.

Oh and I agree with you on Heroe's, just love that show and can't wait for it to come back on!

As for the movies, I don't really care for horror myself, but look forward to Spiderman 3, which I didn't even know was coming out.

One question for you though... who is Mozilla?

I'm going to have to explore your blog here some more and click on some of those links to find out what you are talking about there. ;)

Love,
~Kel

PS Glad to see that you listed Of The Stars. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi again Jenn,

I forgot to add that I agree about the wave of feminism to come, and am hopeful about it too. :D

Love,
~Kel

Jennifer said...

Hey Kel,

Welcome.... i do so try to be witty-- ha....

I hope you will come back soon--

new wave of feminism headin' our way!!

Jennifer H's Facebook profile